Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Musings of a beginner triathlete..

Having finished my first sprint triathlon, I was all caught up in myself :-)

One morning while training in the neighborhood pool, I spied a teenager struggling with her freestyle.  Her kick and balance were off.  After my sets, while I was stretching in the lane next to her, she approached me and started a conversation.  (I swear! She approached me first!)  Turns out she was practicing for an exam in her physical education class.  Her exam entailed her to swim 25m in the streamline position and just kick and not use her arms.  A tough call for her seeing her current skill level and given that the exam was in 5 day's time.

I saw that her balance was way off and tried to make some suggestions.  I wasn't really sure of her age so I erred on the side of caution and just demonstrated and described what she was to do.  :-)   After 15 minutes of working with her, I  finally bid adieu as I had to get ready to go to work.

As I was exiting the pool, she asked me "Thanks sir, are you a coach?"

Of which I responded, "Nope, I'm a triathlete."  and then casually walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment